Onward and upward: The long cross-country

Today, my instructor and I did the second of the required cross-country flights. This was the long cross-country, which has to be a triangular route of a minimum of 150 nautical miles; this flight was 230 NM. We went west over the city, first to Whitecourt and then to Drayton Valley. I chose the route because it would take us through the Edmonton terminal control zone and give me some experience talking to air traffic control.

East side of Edmonton, just after departing Cooking Lake

Over downtown at 4000' above ground
It was a gorgeous day and a beautiful route. The prairies are very green right now. Heading west, the terrain becomes a little hillier and eventually the mountains appear in the distance. We took a short break in Whitecourt and then went on to Drayton Valley.

Leaving Whitecourt
I really like my instructor, which is nice when you spend hours in a tiny cockpit together. We both had fun and enjoyed the day and the flight went without a hitch. I will do this by myself next week. I'm ready.

Almost home - Cooking Lake on the horizon





No comments:

Post a Comment