Seaplane

This weekend, I went to Victoria, BC to visit a friend. I had only booked my flight as far as Vancouver so my timing could be flexible but the day before I left, I decided to take the seaplane from Vancouver to Victoria. There's a seaplane base next to Vancouver International (YVR) and you arrive right into Victoria harbour. It's very convenient and I thought it would be a fun experience.

On the shuttle from YVR to the seaplane, I asked the driver how many seats the plane had. She said it depends on whether you count the one next to the pilot. I asked how you get to be the one who sits next to the pilot, thinking that for sure it involved paying more money. "You just ask the pilot!" she said.

I waited to see the pilot of my flight and then made sure I was first in line to ask him if I could sit up front with him (as it was, nobody else was vying for the right seat). He said yes!

He was really great. He pointed out landmarks, explained the complicated airspace in that area, and told me who he was talking to on the radio throughout the flight.

Over the gulf islands
As we approached Victoria, he remarked how beautiful the view was and said, "It never gets old. Flying is divine." So true.

Over Victoria

On approach into Victoria harbour
I took the seaplane back to Vancouver on my trip home, too, and sat in the cockpit with the pilot once again. This was an incredible experience that made quite an impression on me! I can see myself flying a float plane someday....

No comments:

Post a Comment