Coupla beautiful flights

In the last two weeks, my pilot friend, Doug, and I have been able to do a couple of really beautiful flights. On October 15, we flew northeast to Lac La Biche, a small northern town on the edge of a large, beautiful lake. The flight took us over Elk Island National Park and across some gorgeous, ever-changing terrain. As we traveled further north, the fields gave way to forest and muskeg until Lac La Biche finally came into view. It felt like we were arriving at a resort town, as Doug flew the downwind for the active runway over the water. The 89 NM flight was just over an hour so we stopped at the lovely little terminal to stretch.

Over Elk Island National Park

Snowy fields as we head north

Arriving at Lac La Biche
I flew the homeward leg. It was as beautiful as on the way out. As we neared our home base at Cooking Lake Airport, we started to wonder what the wind was doing. Doug looked it up on his iPad and told me that there was a bit of a crosswind. Crosswind landings are still tricky for me but Doug was encouraging and said that for sure I could handle it. I wrestled our little plane down, flying a very windy approach and then holding on to it as we touched down. It wasn't my most beautiful landing but I didn't wreck the plane. Haha. I was pretty proud of myself when Doug confessed that it was a 90 degree crosswind at 12 knots gusting 18! All in all, it was a great day, a beautiful flight, and a lot of fun. Every flight is a learning experience, too.

Yesterday, Doug and I flew again, this time to Rocky Mountain House. This small town lies in the lee of the Rockies, 88 NM southwest of Cooking Lake. It was an absolutely beautiful day. I flew the outbound leg. The winds aloft were 50 knots but it was still smooth. The approach into Rocky is lovely with the mountains as a backdrop. I flew a perfect circuit and did the greasiest of landings! It was a thing of beauty! Again, we rested for a few minutes in the terminal and then outside because it was so warm and calm. We marveled at how amazing it was to be able to fly and see the things we see.

In the circuit at Rocky Mountain House
We hopped back in, with Doug in command, for our sunset flight home. It was absolutely glorious. The sky was breathtaking. We approached the city at dusk and landed at Cooking Lake just as darkness fell. It was another transcendent and wonderful flight.

Heading home from Rocky, Gull Lake in the distance

Sunset over Pigeon Lake



No comments:

Post a Comment