New year reflections

There's something about the dark, cold, snowy winter days between Christmas and New Year's that allows for quiet reflection about what's been and what's to come.

2018 has been a great year of flying for me. As this year began, I reached my 100 hour milestone. I was so excited that day as a new pilot just launching into the commercial training. Since then, I've earned my night, seaplane, and multi-engine ratings and have made it almost to the end of my instrument rating. I've also successfully completed the written exam for the commercial license. I'm just pushing 200 hours now and, although I'm still a fairly new pilot, I can't believe what I've learned this year.

The night rating training, which I did on those long, cold nights in January and February, was magical and peaceful. I will never forget my first solo night circuits when it was -25℃ or my first night solo cross-country when the moon was full and the fields were silvery white.

The runway at Killam airport on a solo cross-country at night

The seaplane rating was the most fun I've ever had! I was introduced to a whole new world of flying - landing on the ocean or a lake with boats around me, flying low over the water, shutting down and standing on the floats in the middle of a smooth, still lake. I have flown a float plane by myself and it thrills me to think of that. I want float flying to be my job someday.

Just after soloing this beauty

The multi-engine rating, on the other hand, was so frustrating that I had to remind myself to enjoy the flying when I could go. There were so many stops and starts due to instructor availability, a change of flight school (and airplane type), weather, forest fire smoke, and airplane maintenance. It took 4 months and way too many hours (and dollars) to finish it up. My flight test was canceled three times before I finally got to do it. But even this was a great learning experience as I kept myself calm and patient, told myself I would get it done and do it well, and gained confidence and skill flying a more advanced airplane. In the end, I had a great instructor and I loved the Piper Comanche. I was so proud and pleased to have made it through! It made me a better pilot to learn to fly the twin.

The Piper Comanche I trained in for (most of) my multi-engine rating

I spent a good part of the year building time and flying with friends at my primary flight school. We had so much fun as we explored Alberta and learned from each other. Once we all started doing our advanced ratings and training, we didn't fly together as much but those few months of fun in the first half of the year were times I will cherish forever. That wonderful time was capped off with a flight into Saskatchewan in July with a fellow commercial student so we could both do our required 300 NM cross-country trips. That was a great day!

In Humboldt, Saskatchewan

Recently, I've connected with a fellow pilot out at my second flying club and we've flown together a few times this fall. It's been great to have a buddy pilot there, too, so I can have someone to fly with in those planes as well, especially since we both want to build our night hours.

Heading out for a night flight from Villeneuve

It's been an honour for me to fly more with my dad this year. My dad is a retired pilot, with whom I flew hundreds of hours during his flying career. It's the coolest thing to be able to take him up now and continue to enjoy the wonderful world of aviation that I grew up with.

Flying with my dad

This fall, I've been working on my instrument rating. I have loved it! I have a great instructor who is patient, funny, and knowledgeable. I've spent a lot of the training time in the simulator and done most of the flight training in a Cessna 172. A couple of days ago, though, I climbed back into the Piper Seminole, in which I started my multi-engine training, to do a flight in preparation for my multi-IFR flight test. I hadn't flown that plane for 6 months so I wasn't sure how it would go, especially with the busyness of the IFR procedures. But it went so well! It was a great way to end the year of flying.

Last flight of the year - IFR in the Piper Seminole

So what will 2019 bring? I have to finish the instrument rating, which includes a written exam that is notoriously difficult. So there's that. I have to do 5 more hours of instrument training time and then the IFR flight test, which, weather permitting, I hope to do in late January or early February. I am also going to do some dual time with an instructor to prepare for the commercial flight test, which I will aim to do in February/March. Then, with a little more time-building left to do, I hope to complete my commercial requirements by April.

After that, it's a little uncertain. I am planning to work as a commercial pilot but I have to see how that fits in with my current career as a professor. I want to make something of it, though! Aviation has changed my life. It has been the hardest, most exhilarating thing I've done. It has given me confidence and faith in myself. It has shown me freedom. It has given my life beauty. Through it, I have met amazing people. I anticipate great things in 2019.

Now to get on with the work...


No comments:

Post a Comment